Santa Fe Canbys

Our adventures and life in Santa Fe!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

October-2006

October started off with a race and ended with the end of the world.

Eva's school has what is called a Fun Run every year to raise money to pay the PE teacher. Can you believe that the PTA has to raise the money to fund a PE teacher? That is the case.

The Fun Run has 2 components it has a 5K and a 1 mile run. It also has a pancake breakfast after the races. Eva at first did not want to do it, but then she heard that the class with the most participants got to have an ice cream party. The next thing I knew is that I was signed up for the 5K and Eva and I were both signed up for the 1 mile run. I immediately had to find out just how far 5K was. After the discouraging news that it is just a little over 3 miles I began my training.

The road that we live on is a loop and it is almost exactly 2 miles around with an inside track that is about 1 mile. We live just in the middle of the loop so I thought I would start by jogging the inside track. I took off my first day and made the mistake of going up hill for the first segment and after about 50 yds I thought I was going to die. I ran and walked and ran and walked and ran and walked to finish my first mile. How did my physical fitness ever get to this point? (ice cream every night and not really exercising for 10 years will do that)

I continued to train and finally was able to jog for 3 miles straight and declared myself ready. To make a long story short I showed up to run in the race and was able to finish and finished 37th out of 100 people. I finished under 30 minutes and was very happy about it. I will be much better prepared next year and will be in the top 20. (There are a lot of serious runners in Santa Fe, so winning is out of the question)

As for the mile. Eva had said she did not want to run she just wanted to walk and after just finishing the 5K walking was just fine with me. We are lined up at the start and they say go and all her friends take off and the next thing I know Eva is running and my muscles are screaming "Damn you". Luckily she did not train and after about 200 yds she decided to walk some. Then we finished the race walking and running, walking and running just fast enough to beat Wesley, a boy in her class. She finished 7th out of all the first graders, but she plans on winning next year.

As for Halloween, Eva once again had to be something unique, and Grant wanted to be his favorite train.
It took me about 3 days to finish Eva's costume, but I think it turned out ok. By the time she was finished with the costume the ice caps were falling off like the real world and it was no longer a circle but smashed on both ends.



Pumpkin carvings a few days past their prime--
A skull of a man with no teeth and a cat getting ready to lay down.


Grant's was Thomas and looked really good after it was done, if I do say so myself.

Eva's is a standard face carved by her. She did not want to scare the trick-or-treaters.


Next up a 2 mile hike gone bad from the beginning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home